If you are going to be using candles to freshen the home, holiday aromas, or to create a romantic ambiance, you are going to need to know the basics when it comes to safely handling open flames. Why? Well, so you don't burn down the house! You're also going to need to properly care for your candles to ensure they are safe for lighting. Don't know where to begin when it comes to caring for your candles? Here is a brief look at some of the best tips for candle care as well as why it is considered to be so important.
1. Never leave a burning candle unattended!
2. Extinguish all candles when leaving a room or going to sleep.
3. Never use a candle as a night light.
4. Keep burning candles away from children and pets.
5. Do not place near flammable objects such as curtains, walls, bedding, papers, etc.
6. Keep candle free of wick trimmings or other foreign matter that could be a fire hazard.
7. Make sure the candle is placed on a stable, heat resistant level surface.
8. Avoid burning in drafts such as open windows, ceiling fans and air currents.
9. Extinguish if flame become too high or if flickering repeatedly.
10. Trim wick to 1/4 inch at all times to avoid carbon build up.
• Trim the Wicks: The wicks of your candles should always be trimmed to 1/4” in length because this is about how long it needs to be to produce the strongest throw. Having trouble reaching the wick? A wick trimmer is a tool that can be used to trim hard-to-reach wicks quickly and easily.
• Use a Lid: Certain kinds of perforated candle lids have been designed to prevent tunneling and pooling that leads to an uneven burn, so you may want to look at using one on top of your favorite candle.
• Limit Burn Time: Another way to prolong the life of your candles is by limiting the amount of time you burn them. Typically, you shouldn't let candles burn for more than 4 consecutive hours.
12. Never extinguish candles with water. The water can cause the hot wax to splatter and might cause
the container to break.
Why It's Important
There are basically two reasons why candle care is important. One, properly caring for your candles can obviously help avoid the burning down of your house. And two, correct candle care can also help make your candles last. It's a win-win for you!